Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Baby Carrots

Here is the video I made of my thoughts on the baby carrots. They come packed in these individual bags. They are already cleaned and ready to eat. Very portable and quick food. The thing I am worried about is the packaging. It seems like it is more plastic waste to spew upon the world.

So then I must justify my need for portable carrots against the waste. I could buy some larger bags of baby carrots and put them in Ziploc baggies that I could reuse. But I also like them prepacked so if I want to make a quick salad I just have to rip open a small bag and have what I need.

Then I wonder if it really is more plastic than one big bag of baby carrots. I reuse most of my plastic bags until they stink, so maybe I have some good plastic bag karma on my side. Meaning maybe I can pollute a little more than the average customer.

The whole plastic bag situation is very confusing for me. For most of my adult life I have shopped in health food stores and they have always advocated the three R's. Recycle Reduce Reuse. Here is a little link to that thought:http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/recycle.htm

We usually buy in bulk. That means you bring your bag if you remember! Whatever happened to just using paper bags for everything? Is that Ecologically unsound also?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give a Hoot